Mt. Washington Road Race Report
2018 CRC Race Series #6
June 16, 2018
Sunny, 70F at base; Windy, 40F at summit
CRC took the White Mountains for the 58th Mt. Washington Road Race in Gorham, New Hampshire. Our 26 runners began the race with a sunny and 70F degree start, ascended the only hill (4,650ft elevation change), and were welcomed to the summit with 40F degree temperatures and sustained 30mph winds; with the occasional 50mph gusts.
Our 20 CRC volunteers (and mascot) cheerfully handed out waters and an electrolyte replenisher drink (“Is this really Gatorade?”) to all the finishers at the summit. Additionally, four volunteers participated in MWRR’s first ever drug testing as they assumed the role of Drug Test Escort for the two top male and two top female finishers. A special Thank You and shout out to the 10 brave volunteers who doubled as drivers; and for those that donated their car to the cause!
After a full morning of volunteering and “hill” running, CRC enjoyed the traditional Thanksgiving dinner put on by the race before many retired to the campsite for a dip in the river and a campfire potluck.
Notable highlights of those in the top 10 of their divisions:
- Kyle Coffee was 6th in his division with a time of 1:21:03
- Dave Sandham was 7th in his division with a time of 1:30:50
- Charlie Muse was 3rd in his division witha time of 1:31:19
- Sam Ching was 10th in his division 1:32:20
- Meghan Weaver was 9th in her division with a time of 1:38:30
- Caitlin Pohl was 10th in her division with a time of 1:46:55
- Julia Schiantarelli was 4th in her division with a time of 1:49:25
Thank you for everyone who participated by running, volunteering, camping, or spectating for another successful CRC MWRR weekend!